Monday, December 10, 2007

Tim Tebow: Witnessing for Christ on ESPN

In his sermon yesterday, my pastor, Dr. Lucius M. Dalton, mentioned Tim Tebow, a U.S. college football quarterback, who won the prestigious Heisman Trophy award for his outstanding year as a football player.

Tebow is a sophomore at the University of Florida, and one of the youngest students to win this award.

What was significant about his acceptance speech, my pastor pointed out, is that Tebow began by thanking Jesus Christ as his personal savior.

I didn't know about Tebow's background so I did a little research and found that his parents, who are missionaries,instilled Christian values in their children at an early age.

Tebow used the live, international broadcast of his speech on the sports network ESPN to proclaim his acceptance of Christ.

I applaud this young man for his sincere acknowledgment of Jesus, as he opened the speech with, "I just want to start off by thanking my Lord and savior, Jesus Christ, who gave me the ability to play football and for giving me a great family..."

You can see Tim Tebow's speech online at GodTube.com

The Baptist Press has an article from 2006 about Tim Tebow's Christian background.

Be blessed and share the joy of Christ with someone today.

Your Brother in Christ,

Steven Kendall