Thursday, October 20, 2011

An Open Letter to My Church, Mt. Moriah

Below you will find the text from an email sent to fellow believers of my favorite church in the whole wide world, this morning.

It is the church I happily attend with my family, whenever my health permits-- Mt. Moriah Baptist of Washington, D.C., where we are led by a true Man of God, an excellent pastor, preacher and teacher, Dr. Lucius M. Dalton, Senior Pastor.
----------------
To the Believers of the church called Mt. Moriah,
I greet you in the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, with a fervent good morning! :  )
Hello MMBC family,
I just wanted to quickly share with all of you first, before sharing my testimony outside the church, some wonderful, amazing things that have happened since I’ve changed the way I wake up each morning.
For the past week, or so, I make the effort to say, “Thank you Lord for blessing me by waking me up. Please use me today, Holy Spirit, to be a blessing to others so that they may have a better relationship with you. Please bring to my remembrance those things you want me to say to others. In Jesus’ name I pray, ‘Amen.’ “
I usually say this prayer prior to getting out of bed, while stretching my legs, before I stand and attempt to walk.
Later in the day, I try to have what I like to refer to as Holy Ghost Hot Tub Time (HGHTT). I turn off the lights in the bathroom and surround myself in the tub with water as hot as I can stand. I lower myself into the tub, with just my shoulders on up above the water line. It is during my HGHTT that I ask the Holy Spirit to open my mind to the things He wants me to see and things He wants me to do.
During these sessions a number of amazing visions, thoughts, and ideas have swirled in my head. In recent days it is happening so rapidly that I cannot write them down fast enough, so I now video tape anything the Holy Spirit pours out of me.
The phrase, “pour out of me,” is the best way I can describe what is going on with me right now. Ideas for stories, that I’ve long since had to abandon, due to chronic illness have returned, only this time, the Lord has provided, in a flash, full storylines, images of characters, plots, solutions to plot problems, etc. Things are connecting in ways I could never have imagined and never have even come close to doing myself, so I must give it up to God, for only He is doing this.
Okay, let me get to point of this long email, which I originally wanted to be a short paragraph or two, but these days, I’m following what it says in Habakkuk 2:2 “Then the Lord said to me, ‘Write my answer plainly on tablets, so that a runner can carry the correct message to others.’” (NLT)
The idea of writing a short story, about spiritual warfare, live, in real-time with Twitter, came to me last night. I wanted to do it on the evening of Monday, Oct. 31. The first sentence came to mind over and over, so much so, that I woke up choking at 4:34 a.m. with the thought this morning (I actually woke up choking and had to bite into the corner of my pillow to stop it.)

That sentence is, “Pastor Jones woke up angry.”  This morning I decided to start typing the story as it pours out of me on Twitter.
The Holy Spirit has literally been wearing me out the past couple of days, but He has answered another prayer and allowed me to get the rest I need, when I need it. 
If you want to follow the story throughout the day, live, you can join me on Twitter at:
I’m also trying the place the story in chrono order on my blog at:
I’ll keep writing the story until the Holy Spirit tells me to stop. 
The story is called, “The Substance of Things Hope For,” and it follows what happens when the pastor of a dying church asks the Holy Spirit to fall upon the congregation in dramatic fashion, like the Day of Pentecost. Well, his prayers are answered in ways that are glorious, triumphant and frightening for some, as several disciples of the church receive spiritual gifts, which are unlocked during a Spirit-filled worship service. 
When Pastor Jones, our lead character, opens his eyes from the pulpit after praying, he surveys the congregation and can see people “lit up,” and “glowing” from their spiritual gifts. Pastor Jones can also “see” for the first time, dark, spiritual beings surrounding certain disciples and these spiritual beings now know Pastor Jones can see them as well for the first time.
Ephesians 6:12 is now being played out in this little church and our story will follow them as they battle, “...against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.” NIV
So, I hope you’ll join me on this spiritual journey as I receive the outpouring of the Holy Spirit and share whatever God has for all of us.
Have a blessed day!
Bro. Steve Kendall