Thursday, November 17, 2011

Romancing Your Spouse: Day 15-The Yoke


"Love is patient, love is kind." 
1 Corinthians 13:4 
(from the NIV: New International Version of the Bible)
A Week of Kindness:
Today is day four of our kindness week. 

Question for Reflection:
Today, I'd like for you to reflect on the following passage of Scripture...
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”   Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV: New International Version of the Bible)

Bearing One Another's Burdens:
I like to think of the passage above, from Matthew 11 whenever my wife is tired. When she stays up late to work, I resist the temptation to ask, "What the heck are you working on until 2 a.m.?" Instead, I try to make her burden lighter by taking up more of her side of the yoke by offering gestures of kindness.

Making your spouse breakfast, or packing their lunch can ease the burden of the simple things they may not have time to do when their schedule gets hectic.

Remember, Our Time on Earth is Precious--don't waste it: 
Making the effort to be kind is so important as only God knows how much time we'll have down here until His Son, prayerfully takes us home.

Homework:
Continue our daily assignment for the week:
Make an effort to do some little kind thing for your spouse--without spending any money. I'm not asking you to be as frugal as me. : ) I just want you to put some thought and planning into this assignment.

In addition, if possible, practice a random act of kindness to someone you encounter each day this week and observe how it influences both of you and the results thereof--in other words--how the act affects and effects both of you.

-----------------
Thanks for reading this devotional.
Please feel free to share and pass along to others.

Have a blessed, kind, wonderful day!

--Steve Kendall