Friday, November 18, 2011

Romancing Your Spouse-Days 16-18: The Yoke-Continued

"Love is patient, love is kind." 1 Corinthians 13:4 
(from the NIV: New International Version of the Bible)

A Week of Kindness:
Today is day five of our kindness week. As we approach the weekend, I will continue our discussion of "The Yoke" from yesterday.

Question for Reflection:
Today, like yesterday, I'd like for you to reflect on the following passage of Scripture...
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”   Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV: New International Version of the Bible)

Bearing One Another's Burdens:
Today I want to focus on the second and third sentence of the scripture above:
  Jesus says to us, "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

This weekend, think about the whole notion of learning from Jesus when we take His yoke upon us. How can you apply that to your relationship with your spouse?

Also reflect on being "gentle and humble in heart" when it comes your romantic life. Really focus on that "humble in heart" portion. How can, or does that apply to you? 

Use this weekend to review where you are romantically with your spouse. Begin to plan the way forward in terms of what you'll continue and what you'll stop doing.

Remember, Our Time on Earth is Precious--don't waste it: 
Making the effort to be kind is so important as only God knows how much time we'll have down here until His Son, prayerfully takes us home.

Homework:
1) In addition to our ongoing assignment below (#3), invite someone to attend worship service with you and your spouse this weekend.

2) Find Scripture that you can share with your spouse. Pray about it first, then look for passages which perhaps express your love for your spouse.

3) Continue our daily assignment for the week:
Make an effort to do some little kind thing for your spouse--without spending any money. I'm not asking you to be as frugal as me. : ) I just want you to put some thought and planning into this assignment.

4) If possible, practice a random act of kindness to someone you encounter each day this week and observe how it influences both of you and the results thereof--in other words--how the act affects and effects both of you.

-----------------
Thanks for reading this devotional.
Please feel free to share and pass along to others.

Have a blessed, wonderful weekend!

--Steve Kendall